Share This Article
Sometimes we see a small room built on the roof of a house. That is the attic floor. So what exactly is the attic floor, and how should the attic floor be arranged to match the house? Let’s find out with San Francisco Contractors through the following article!
What is the definition of the attic?
Built the attic floor to cover the top of the stairs. The attic floor is the top part of the house. Usually, this floor will be located on the terrace of the house. Today, people often use the attic to make a warehouse or an attic bedroom.
The space on the attic floor will be much smaller than in other rooms. Because it is on the top floor, it will be hotter than the space below.
Why design more the attic floor?
It is advisable to design more attic floors for houses in the city with a small area and little space. Although there is only a tiny space, the attic floor can still be used effectively. There are several reasons that we should design more the attic floor as follows:
- Create more living space for the family: The attic floor can be arranged into a small bedroom. The location at the top of the building can also become a room to watch the sunset for the owner. A place to live for the whole family every weekend is also a good idea for the attic.
- Aesthetics for the overall house design: What about when surrounded by ordinary horizontal roof houses? We can design the attic floor to make the overall look of the home more beautiful and unique. Moreover, we can choose materials made of glass to take advantage of the natural light here.
Distinguishing floors in a house
What is the ground floor?
The ground floor is the first floor (closer to the ground). Usually, if we use the word “ground floor,” ground floor will be synonymous with 1st floor. Above ground floor will be 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc. In the case of the so-called “ground floor,” the above floor will be 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor,…
The mezzanine floor (also called the M floor) is an intermediate floor between 2 main floors. Usually, the height of the mezzanine is between 2.2m and 2.5m. Meanwhile, the main floor is usually 4m or more high. The mezzanine is not counted as a floor in the building structure because of the limited height.
Mezzanine floors often appear in buildings with large lobbies or living rooms. The mezzanine floor makes the hall or living room more spacious and airy. The mezzanine floor can be used as a reading room, office, or storage room.
Mezzanine floors are usually divided into the following types:
- Mezzanine behind the house
- Mezzanine in front of the house
- Mezzanine on the side of the house
- The mezzanine floor in the house
What is attic design?
Atrium design is not synonymous with skylight. The atrium design is the design of space in the house. This space has the effect of taking in natural light by not installing a roof.
The atrium has a larger space area. A skylight is a space connecting the ground to the house’s roof. Meanwhile, the atrium can only be on about 2 to 3 floors. If talking about these two definitions, the atrium will include the skylight.
The open floor plan makes the house feel airy and spacious. Can use it to replace the partition between rooms without creating a feeling of restraint. Sometimes the atrium is also a factor that makes a particular highlight for the house.
What is the function of the attic floor?
We have somewhat understood what the attic floor is, so what are the functions of the attic floor? In general, the attic floor is designed with the following functions:
Shielding and protection function: This is the original function of the attic. The attic floor is built with the primary part covering the stairs.
Cooling function: The attic floor combined with the roof creates a space between the top and the sun. Therefore, the feet below will feel more relaxed.
Aesthetic function: The attic floor helps the house to be taller and more spacious. From there, the house will look more luxurious and modern.
Space saving function: Instead of expanding the width of the apartment, homeowners can raise the height by building more floors. Thus, it is possible to save ground space for gardening.
Is the attic floor counted as one floor?
The attic floor is described as follows:
Will include the typical attic floor in the total number of feet of the building. In addition to the attic floor, it will also have the technical floor in the above-ground floors of a residential building.
In some cases, the attic is not counted as a floor of the building. Those cases are as follows:
- The area is less than 30% of the roof floor area. The height is less than 3m.
- It can only be used as a roof for elevators or stairs.
- Only used to cover and protect other construction equipment.
- Used to go to the roof and rescue.
In the above cases, the basement is not counted as a floor.
Regulations on the design, area, and height of the attic floor
Regulations on the design of the attic floor: The attic floor area must be built back 4m compared to the boundary line.
Regulations on the attic floor area:
- Usually, the area of the attic floor will depend on the needs or purposes of the homeowner. However, there are some regulations when building attic floors that everyone needs to follow as follows:
The roof area of the attic will depend on the remaining location inside the roof deck.
Usually, the site should not exceed 30% of the roof floor area.
- Regulations on the height of the attic floor: According to the rules, the attic floor must not be built higher than 3m.
Good ideas when arranging the attic floor
A reasonable layout is essential in a small area such as the attic. Here are some excellent ideas that you can refer to in renovating the attic for your home:
- Create a reading room or drinking tea, a place to relax: This place has the advantage of being able to maximize natural sunlight. So arranging the attic floor into a reading or relaxing room is the best idea. Weekends will pass peacefully and relaxing.
- Creating a bedroom: Although the space is not too ample, the attic floor is still a good choice for a bedroom. Because it is on the highest floor, the room here will be more private. Homeowners can build additional walls or install curtains to separate the stairs and the bedroom.
- Forming a worship room: If the homeowner has an altar for ancestors, the attic floor is also suitable for becoming a worship room. Since the worship room usually does not need to be too large, this is an excellent idea.
- Create a warehouse: Homeowners can bring unused items to the attic. Thus, the space of the rooms below will be neater and cleaner. Because it is the highest floor, few people go up to this floor. So renovating the attic as a warehouse is probably the most popular idea.
Note when designing the attic floor
If deciding to design the attic floor, homeowners should note the following issues:
- Make the most of natural light.
- Interested in minimalism and suitable for the area of the room.
- Structure and building materials surrounding the floor: To take advantage of natural light sources, should build windows toward the light. At the same time, can use tempered glass material to make the room bright.
Thus, San Francisco Contractors has brought you information about the attic floor and the attic floor design that is suitable for the house. Hope you will have good ideas to design yourself space to be renovated from the attic.